COVID-19 Emergency Student Bursaries
Have you been financially impacted by the current pandemic situation? The BC Government and Camosun College have established a COVID-19 Emergency bursary fund to provide one-time $200 funding to support current registered students impacted by this crisis. These limited funds are available to assist students with immediate financial hardships. Camosun College appreciates the generous contributions from its donors to the Erasing Barriers Fund.
How to apply
To apply, please email the Financial Aid & Awards office at email@example.com with the following required information:
- Details about how you have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 situation (e.g. lost income due to lay off, illness or caregiving)
- Include your full name, student number, the amount of funding you are requesting and how you intend to use the funds.
- If approved, you will be asked to complete an electronic funds transfer form and provide bank verification document or void cheque, so funds can be transferred directly into your bank account. Payments will be processed within approximately one week after full documentation has been received.
- Requests for funds will continue to be processed while funds are available.
- Students are encouraged to look at other community resources.
Other Emergency Bursaries
Emergency Bursary is a non-repayable award that may be available for those students who are experiencing an unexpected financial emergency. Examples, may include but not limited to, access to emergency housing, food, medical emergency etc. To apply for an emergency bursary, students must complete the Emergency Assistance Application. Students are encouraged to include any supporting documentation to assist in the review of their application. Please email Financial Aid & Awards, firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss your situation and request an Emergency Assistance Application.
Camosun Cares – Student Hampers
COVID-19 has put many of our students in challenging situations and Camosun wants you to know we care. Camosun cares about your well being, your health, and your student experience at Camosun College! The Camosun College Student Society, Culinary Arts, Camosun International and many other college partners have come together for "Camosun Cares". Through the generous donation from the Camosun College Student Society, Camosun College, and the hard work of Culinary Arts faculty/Admin, Camosun is able to provide you with nutritious hampers. In kind donations from, Co-operative Education, Career Services (CECS) and the Camosun Bookstore have proven once again that Camosun puts their students first.
Camosun Cares is excited to announce our continued collaboration with Mustard Seed, Food Share Network, South Island Farm Hub, Paradise Island Cheese, Maple Leaf Foods, B & C Foods, Island Chef Pepper Co. and the Saanich Peninsula Food Bank, whose commitment to community supports this incredible endeavor. Through their support and the support of our financial donors we are able to increase the number of hampers by 50% per week with packaged nutritious meals prepared by Culinary Arts, fresh produce from local farms, non-perishable food items, and hygiene products.
For the next 2 months, Camosun Cares volunteers will deliver care hampers each week to Camosun students in need. The care hampers will be delivered on Tuesday afternoon/evenings to all students who complete the form until all hampers are assigned for the week. We kindly ask requests for a hamper only be made if you are currently experiencing distress due to financial or other reasons, as we would like all hampers to go to those most in need.
If you identify as a student experiencing distress due to financial or other reasons please sign up to receive a Camosun cares hamper by clicking the link to Application Form-Camosun Cares
For more information contact: email@example.com
Additional government supports
We recommend that you also seek out other community, and/or government resources to assist you in getting through this challenging time. We have put together a few options here for you to consider:
- BC 211 is an excellent resource for a wide variety of supports, including food banks, housing and emergency supports
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan which includes information about the NEW Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB)
- The BC Government’s COVID-19 Action Plan includes information about rental supplements, and deferred payment options for BC Hydro and ICBC