Camosun logo for print

Information • May 05, 2021 9:09 am • Latest information on COVID-19 and New Camosun Website • Read more…

Courses you can take as part of your Associate Degree

The two-year Associate Degree is an academic program made up of 20 university-level courses. It is a stand-alone provincial credential you can list on your resume, as well as a good option to consider if you plan to continue your education to complete a university degree.

Meeting requirements

The course requirements for an Associate Degree program are mandated by the BC provincial government. You can earn an Associate of Science or Associate of Arts Degree by completing 20 university transfer courses (60 transfer credits), with a minimum GPA of 2.0 ("C").

Each Associate Degree contains program requirements that include course categories such as Humanities, Arts or Science. No course may be used to meet more than one of the specific requirements. The following list will help you identify which courses belong to which category. However, to ensure the courses you choose will transfer appropriately for your specific educational goals, it is important that you also seek academic advice from your destination university.

For a course to be applied toward an associate degree, it must transfer to at least one of Simon Fraser University (SFU), the University of British Columbia (UBC), the University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBC-O), the University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC) or the University of Victoria (UVic) as per the BC Transfer Guide.

Course categories


  • English, as below
  • Humanities, as below
  • Social Sciences, as below


Any course that transfers to one of SFU, UBC, UBC-O, UNBC or UVic



Laboratory Science

Mathematics/Computer Science/Statistics – Associate of Arts

Mathematics – Associate of Science


Second-year Arts

Any Arts course that transfers as a 200 or higher-level Arts course

Second-year Science

Any Science course that transfers as a 200 or higher level Science course

Social Science

Camosun's Associate Degrees

Associate of Arts

Associate of Science

What are we talking about?

Application is the first step toward admission to a program at Camosun.
Registration is the process of signing up for courses.
A collection of courses that usually leads to a credential.
A course covers one subject, such as Math 108 Applied Calculus or History 206 Canadian Women: 1916-Present.
University Transfer Course
A University Transfer (UT) course is a course that transfers to at least one research university listed on the BC Transfer Guide.
Co-operative Education
Co-operative Education is a learning model that allows you to gain work experience in your chosen field while enrolled in your academic program.

Course descriptions

Abbreviation and Number
Identifies the course, such as ENGL 151. The abbreviation and number appear on timetables, course registration forms and transcripts.
The descriptive name of the course, such as Academic Writing Strategies.
Credit values are based on hours per week.
Courses you need to take before registration into your desired course.
Courses you need to take at the same time as your desired course.
Pre or Corequisites
Courses you need to take either at the same time, or before, your desired course.
Students are admitted into college programs and courses based on their previous educational background and experience. If your high school transcripts are dated, or if you do not have any transcripts, you will need to take an assessment of your current skills before registering. The results from the assessment will indicate where to start for success. Learn more.

Last updated: May 26, 2017 11:37 am

Contact Us
Camosun College Lansdowne
3100 Foul Bay Rd
Victoria BC V8P 5J2
Camosun College Interurban
4461 Interurban Rd
Victoria BC V9E 2C1
  • 250–370–3000
  • 1–877–554–7555 (toll-free)

©1996–2021 Camosun College | Victoria BC, Canada | Printed: October 20, 2021 at 9:27 pm Change Everything logo for print