The School of Health and Human Services has led the way by embracing inter-disciplinarity and interprofessional education by enacting school-wide action through its Interdisciplinary Education Framework.
The School of Health and Human Services is dedicated to preparing students for careers in health care, outreach, and community engagement. With the growing need to work in an interdisciplinary manner and as part of a team, it is becoming more imperative that we integrate practice, service and theory through inclusive, interdisciplinary, and holistic approaches to education.
The delivery of interdisciplinary educational programming will help prepare our graduates for employment in complex work environments where they can understand multiple perspectives, and work with a variety of disciplines, with a focus on the individual, families, and communities.
The vision of interdisciplinary education in the School of Health and Human Services is:
“Students understand multiple perspectives, and work with a variety of disciplines with a focus on the individual, families, and communities.”
Benefits of interdisciplinary education
Effective interdisciplinary education will:
- ensure client-centred approaches
- enhance team work, collaboration, communication, and problem solving skills
- reduce service duplication and minimize unnecessary interventions
- reduce health care costs
- enhance client and health outcomes
- improve retention and recruitment of health providers
- enhance clinical effectiveness
- provide integrated, seamless care that is perceived as effective by the client in a range of settings
In order to support interdisciplinary education at Camosun College, the School of Health and Human Services has developed the following logic model.
Click on image to view the full-sized graphic. Download the graphic. PDF
The School of Health and Human Services Interdisciplinary Education Steering Committee provides advice and guidance on the School of Health and Human Services Interdisciplinary Education framework and logical model including the research and development of an interdisciplinary education plan, activities, and events.
The cross-campus, multiple department committee provides recommendations to promote and support interdisciplinary education including, but not limited to, the preparation of educational materials, presentation events and workshops, as well as student lead activities.
The Interdisciplinary Education Steering Committee will:
- contribute to Camosun College’s strategic plan including the focus on interdisciplinary education
- respect, acknowledge and applaud each other’s contribution to interdisciplinary education
- create, support, and ensure optimal opportunities for learners across the College
- exist to facilitate strong connections, synergistic practice, and fun activities across various areas across the college
- facilitate greater department involvement in discussions and decision making for the purpose of communicating and advising on up to date and accurate information across Camosun College